I recently had the privilege of visiting The Great Wolf Lodge in Concord, NC with my family while attending the Reviewer's Retreat conference. I'm just going to be up front about this place - We absolutely loved everything about our stay! Here's why:
- The staff was very friendly, helpful, and informative. Whether you want to check in early (they give you a card with a number so you can call to see when your room becomes available!), need recommendations for things to do in the area, or would like a photographer to snap a picture of your family around the lodge, the staff has got you covered. I have NEVER had this kind of experience at a hotel before, and I must admit that I was not only surprised, but awed by this experience.
- They had every little detail covered, and then some. Each room had personal care products for everyone in the family - vanilla scented shampoo, soap, and lotion for the adults and bubblegum scented body wash from the Scooops salon for the kids. There were large coloring sheets and crayons in the lobby, as well as a daily story time and activities for the kids. The lodge also offers a teen room, a Cub Club (with daily activities) for toddlers, a bowling alley, a mini golf course, and slides for every stage of life in the waterpark.
- There were no room keys or cards to keep up with. The "keys" were also the wristbands that you need to enter the waterpark, and the adult bands are tied to your credit card so that you don't need to carry cash with you around the lodge. This came in super handy when I took my daughter and nephew to explore and we ended up in the Northern Lights™ Arcade. With one swipe of my wristband, we had $5 worth of tokens right away!
- Lots of dining options onsite made finding the perfect meal for everyone very easy. There is a Pizza Hut Express, two Dunkin Donuts, a Bear Paw Sweets & Eats to satisfy your sweet tooth, and The Loose Moose Cottage buffet. If you want to get out a bit to explore the town of Concord, there are plenty of fast food and chain restaurant options nearby.
- One word: MagiQuest. Children of all ages can be seen dashing about the lodge on a quest from the very fun and imaginative MagiQuest. Purchase a wand from the MagiQuest shop and explore the themed hallways to unlock new surprises and adventure. My eleven year old nephew spent much of his free time wandering around and making new friends, all thanks to MagiQuest.
- There are two spas onsite: Scooops Kid Spa and Elements Salon. While I fully intended to take my daughter, Danger, to the Scooops Kid Spa for a pedicure, my conference schedule simply did not allow me the time to do this. The Spa looks so adorable, with an ice cream theme throughout (and kids get a free scoop of ice cream from the Bear Paw Sweets & Eats after the spa service!) Each guest room had a tube of Scooops Bubblegum scented body wash, so I can say with full experience that the products smell divine! I might have used the Bubblegum body wash to create a luxurious bubble bath in my suite. ;)
- It has to be mentioned here: The waterpark was INCREDIBLE! The room stays at a constant 84 degrees year-round, and there are activities everywhere. Translation: Even a cold, rainy day won't be able to dampen the fun at The Great Wolf Lodge. From the Cub Paw™ toddler pool area to Fort Mackenzie™ and its 1,000 gallon splash bucket, there truly is something for everyone. My personal favorite activity was playing water basketball with my mother in the Chinook Cove™ heated activity pool, while my daughter loved jumping the waves in the Slap Tail Pond™ wave pool. My father and nephew got a little more daring with their adventures, and spent quite a bit of time at the Mountain Edge Raceway™, where they raced each other head-first down a four story slide.
This review, while being fairly thorough, cannot even begin to describe all of the fun and exciting things that await you at The Great Wolf Lodge in Concord, NC. We were all just amazed with how all the little details added up to make this lodge the perfect vacation spot for our family. I plan to return at Christmas, where I hear that the lodge is transformed into a winter wonderland, complete with gingerbread and SNOW! Will I see you there?
I was not compensated for this review, nor did I receive any special perks during my stay. I was simply another guest, and as such, this review comes from the personal experiences of the average The Great Wolf Lodge guest.